Student Services

Transient Student Eligibility

Under certain circumstances, it may be appropriate or permissible for students to complete coursework through another college or university while they are enrolled at CSU. The university refers to this as "transient" status.  In all cases, approval from the student's academic college must be obtained before transient work can be undertaken. 

There are very specific university regulations regarding transient status.  A detailed explanation may be found in the Undergraduate Catalog. In short, the following requirements must be met in order to be eligible for transient status:

  1. Students must be in good academic standing at CSU
  2. Students must have less than junior standing, which is a total of no more than 59 earned semester credits.  Students seeking to complete transient work at a community college/two-year institution must do so prior to obtaining junior standing.

The only method for obtaining transient permission when a student does not meet the aforementioned criteria is an approved university petition prior to taking a course at another institution.

All business students must seek prior to taking any coursework outside of CSU an approved University Petition by the University Petition Commitee (not a college petition) and written support by their assigned business academic advisor. 

The Business Academic Advising Office can be reached by scheduling an appointment at Appointments or you contact the office by using their general e-mail account at