Why are Internships Important?
You may have the best grades. A long list of student activities. And amazing references from professors. But when you start looking for a job, you find that you are sending out tons of resumes, and getting no return calls. What is the problem? You are missing a key component in making you an attractive candidate - an internship.
According to a recent survey done by Internships.com and reported in Forbes Magazine, "69% of companies with 100 or more employees offered full-time jobs to their interns in 2012" and even better news, "Fifty-three percent of the surveyed employers said they expect to hire more interns in 2013 than they did in 2012." Companies often treat internships as extended interviews. Even if you are not ultimately hired, the "real world" experience is invaluable, adding to your resume.
So what are you waiting for? Attend an on-site recruitment event, work with your Department office and engage with your advisor to work on obtaining a business internship. The Monte Ahuja College of Business often lists and send internship, co-op and job opportunities directly to current students via email. If you are a current student, check your Vikes email early and often.
In addition, be sure to check the following other resources:
- The annual Business Career and Internship Expo
- The annual Meet the Accountants Night
- Cleveland State University Office of Career Development & Exploration website
- Visit the Cleveland State University Office of Career Development & Exploration located in Rhodes Tower West, Room 280
- Intern in Ohio - a free resource to help students find internships