Military Spouse Career Advancement

MyCAA Scholarship

The MyCAA Scholarship is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 of tuition assistance to eligible military spouses. The scholarship helps military spouses pursue licenses, certificates, certifications or degrees necessary to gain employment in high demand, high growth portable career fields and occupations. Spouses may use their MyCAA funds at any academic institution approved for participation in the MyCAA Scholarship. Cleveland State University is an approved participant. The funds may be used to participate in continuing education courses or for academic (graudate/undergraduate) certificates.

MyCAA provides a maximum education benefit of $4,000 with an annual fiscal year cap of $2,000 to assist eligible military spouses who need professional credentials to meet their portable career goals. Annual cap waivers are available for licensure and certificate programs if there is an upfront tuition cost that exceeds $2,000 (up to the maximum benefit of $4,000).

Who is eligible for the MyCAA Scholarship?

Spouses of service members on active duty in pay grades E-1 to E-5, W-1 to W-2 and O-1 to O-2 who can start and complete their coursework while their military sponsor is on Title 10 military orders, including spouses married to members of the National Guard and reserve component in these same pay grades.

Those who are not eligible include:
  • Spouses married to service members in pay grades E-6 and above, W-3 and above and O-3 and above
  • Spouses who are a member of the armed forces themselves currently on Title 10 orders
  • Spouses who are married but legally separated (or under court order or statute of any state or U.S. territory) from a member of the armed forces on Title 10 orders
  • Spouses whose National Guard/reserve component military sponsor is in a Warning Orders/Alert, Post Deployment/Demobilization or Transition status
  • Spouses married to a member of the Coast Guard
  • Spouses who are unable to start and complete coursework while their military sponsor is on Title 10 orders
What does the MyCAA Scholarship pay for?

The MyCAA Scholarship pays tuition costs for education and training courses and examinations leading to an associate degree (excluding associate degrees in General Studies, Liberal Arts and Interdisciplinary Studies that do not have a concentration). The scholarhsip also covers the costs for obtaining a license, certificate or certification at an accredited college, university or technical school in the United States or approved testing organization that expands emplyment or portable career opportunities for military spouses.

What is NOT covered by MyCAA?
  • Tuition for courses and examinations not included in the spouse's Education and Training Plan and courses already started or completed by the spouse
  • Reimbursements of any kind
  • Books, supplies, equipment, uniforms, computers and electronic devices of any kind
  • Student activities, events and entertainment
  • Pre-payment deposits for future courses, unless costs are part of a block of study
  • School or college-level entrance examiniations, comprehensive exams and related preparatory courses
  • Courses, test or fees normally paid by an employer as part of a job training program
  • Fees of any kind including, but not limited to registration fees, technology fees, parking fees, etc.
  • Non-academic credit or ungraded courses including courses taken on an audit basis or as an internship, practicum, apprenticeship or clinical supervision; also non-academic credit or ungraded orientation programs
  • Courses taken more than one time unless MyCAA has received a full refund from teh school
  • Academic credit by examination tests (CLEP)
  • General studies, liberal arts and interdisciplinary associate degrees that do not have a concentration
  • Personal enrichment courses (excluding academic credit/graded electives in an approved MyCAA Spouse Education and Training Plan)
  • Transportation, lodging, child care and medical services
  • Course extensions (except for approved hardship waivers)
  • Study Abroad Programs (excluding programs of study offered by participating MyCAA schools on overseas military installations)
  • Private licenses (ie: a private pilot's license would not be covered because it is for recreational use, but a commercial pilot's license would be covered because it would be used for an occupation)
  • High school completion programs, including online high school completion program
  • Continuing education credits to maintain a standing in a professional organization
How to establish a MyCAA Account:

Spouses should visit the MyCAA Spouse Portal online here and provide the required Spouse Profile Information. A real-time DEERS eligibility check will confirm if spouses meet MyCAA eligibility requirements. Once confirmed, spouses can move forward and establish a MyCAA Account. Those who do not pass the check will be provided additional guidance from a SECO Career Counselor.

For additional information/assistance:

Call a SECO Career Counselor at 800-342-9647.
Counselors are available Monday through Friday 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM EST and Saturday 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST.